Saturday, January 16, 2010

Christians Must Be Pro-Life

If I randomly murdered a man on the street I would rightly be considered a murderer and be imprisoned. I do not have the right to kill that man. What right does a woman have to kill her baby? A woman's, like a man's, rights stop with her life. As a feminist I find the pro-choice movement so hypocritical. In China and India, the majority of aborted children are women. The pro-choice feminist movement supports the killing of women. Interesting.

But what if the child is not "normal?" During WWII, the Nazis in Germany tried to create the perfect race, and to this day there are scientists in South Korea that are trying to create the perfect beings through cloning. Now I hope that you believe as I do that that is wrong. So, why are we doing the same thing with the unborn? When a woman is pregnant with a child with down's syndrome we council her to abort it. When a woman is pregnant with a baby who is physically or mentally challenged we want her to kill her child because of course that child could never be a part of our "perfect" society. I heard this awesome speech from this twelve year old girl, in which she mentioned the fact that we have handicapped parking and the Special Olympics and we talk about how inspiring these people are to us, but when a woman has conceived one of these same people we want her to abort it. Notice the hypocrisy.

Women do have choices. They have the choice to not have sex, or to protect themselves, and even if they are raped there should be support groups out there to prevent them from killing a person. We must of course love these women, and we will be showing them our love when we support them in keeping their babies.

My pastor said that women traditionally killed themselves in horrible ways to abort their children and that legalized abortion is better. But when we legalize something this means that we support it. Suicide is one of the leading causes of teen death in this country, and we would certainly never support that. We would want to help them not kill themselves. Just because people do something it does not mean that action is right. This is what Jesus teaches us. As a church we must stand up for what is right even if others around us don't. We must be a group of loving people who give women another option. The pro-choice movement says that women have a choice but they really don't. They are often pressured into abortion and are often not even really given another option. When a woman is in this state of mind, she can't think clearly. Churches are to prevent bad things from happening in the world. Of course, we must support orphans and mothers, and this is exactly what I desire most. Churches must be support groups for prostitutes and addicts and sucidal people and murderers and women considering an abortion. The majority of women who have an abortion regret it. The emotional and physical pains that these women feel are hardly ever mentioned, but they are real. Some women, after having an abortion, can't have children ever again.

After all, when does a person really start becoming a person? Right now, pro-choice men and women say: at birth. But there are partial birth abortions done every day and six month old fetuses could live outside of the womb. Pre-mature babies are born everyday. Is a person someone who walks and talks? So are the mentally and physically handicapped not people? Are elderly with Alzheimer's disease not people? When is a person a person then?

"From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb. I will ever praise you" (Psalm 71:6 NIV).

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" (Psalm 139: 13-16).

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations" (Jeremiah 1:5).

Life starts at conception. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment