Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Year Catholic Bible Reading Plan for 2013 - Intro and Day 1

Last year I was not able to go through the Catholic Bible in one year. This year I plan on trying again. I will also try to write a reflection for each set of readings. I am using a plan that I found on someone's blog. I highly recommend it because it covers the Old Testament, New Testament, and Psalms/Proverbs every day. Here is the link: http://readthecatholicbibleinayear.wordpress.com/week-1/ . So without further ado, I will post a reflection on the readings for Day 1.

The first day's readings are Gen 1, Ps 1, and Mt 1:1-17. Today, I will focus on the first two readings.

It is worth noting that the first of God's creations is light. Then God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light. God saw how good the light was. God then separated the light from the darkness (Genesis 1:3-4). In this Christmas season we must not overlook the importance of light. Jesus, we learn, is the light of the world. The light drives out the darkness. How interesting that God created light first. Darkness existed when the world was a formless wasteland. Thus, God willed for there to be light while darkness was not created by God but was negated by Him. However, darkness is needed for night; so, while darkness represents the formless wasteland, God still allows it to exist in the world in the form of "night". What do you all think about this passage? We know that Jesus the Light banishes all darkness (all evil) in the world. And yet, God allows evil to exist. This, I believe, is a mystery which I hope to understand after I die. But in the meantime, I will follow the Light of the World.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, in this New Year, may I only follow You, the Light of the World.

Tomorrow's Readings: Gen 2, Ps 2, Mt 1:18-25

No comments:

Post a Comment